Position: Social Worker
Organisation: MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF)
Project: MSF Europe Migrations
Starting Date: Immediately
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide.
MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Carry out all social-related activities, in order to ease the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment and to improve his/her psychosocial condition.
Main Responsibilities of the Position
- Outreach work in order to introduce the MSF MH services to the community, to identify people in need of psychological treatment, to know the community and its mechanisms of resilience.
- Help the MHAM in the management of the waiting list (regular visit to the people in need of MH support and in the waiting list).
- Participate to the holistic care of the patients included in the program in the MH department by identifying the social needs of patients through a social assessment.
- Respond to the patient’s social needs, according to the scope of the project, by giving direct social support and/or refer to other social actors, in order to actively contribute to the improvement of their quality of living.
- Contact patients to follow up the evolution of their condition when needed (home visits, defaulter tracing)
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for the activities of social workers. Take care of social services facilities, materials and equipment in order to ensure continuity.
- Mapping and regular update of social partners, local authorities, other NGOs, and governmental social services in order to improve social services scope and responsiveness.
- Keep records, statistic and files updated, reporting any social activity, in order to prioritize and develop appropriate programs or projects.
Education: Degree in Social Work is essential
Experience: Two years minimum in a similar position. Experience with MSF or other NGOs is highly desirable. Experience of the Greek health system will be a plus.
Languages: Essential English and Greek
Competencies: Commitment to MSF principles, flexibility, teamwork, results-orientation
All MSF staff receives an employment contract, remuneration, social and health insurance.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address quoting reference code «Social Worker Ioannina» in the subject line of the e-mail: email@example.com
Closing date: 09/09/2016
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.